Saturday, March 19, 2011

Linkage

I almost certainly should have posted this sooner, but better late then never.  St Andrew's University have created an entire section on their 600th Anniversary Composition Competition, so when an idle moment presents itself you can have a gander at what they have to say about my piece and the two I'm up against.  Both my competitors seem to be considerably more experienced, not to mention a few years older, than myself, having had various works performed on Radio 3 and both having studied composition at music college.  Also, my biography has been made rather short, not exactly bigging-up my comparatively modest achievements.  Still, we are on an equal footing as far as the contest goes from now on. 

I shall be travelling up to the concert forming the competition's final on 21st April.  The orchestra have a month left to rehearse and, other than needing additional percussion parts, appear to have had no difficulties, which is a relief.  The oft-told story of the disastrous première of Rachmaninov's First Symphony had entered my thoughts once or twice but I'm sure the orchestra and conductor will do a highly professional job.  I am also determined not to interfere too much with the musicians' input into the performance - no last-minute alterations to the notes or outbursts of 'no, no NO, not like THAT!' during the final rehearsal.  I do (generally) trust conductors, 'yer know...

Here's the main site for the competition: 600th Anniversary Competition
The concert programme
My piece: The Sun Rising

No comments: